Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Phoenixcon, 1984


I'm trying something new...

I've been constructing scrapbooks for two years now.  I only work on them in the cold months (because I'm away during the warm months!)  These pages are the result of my efforts.  The distortion you'll see has to do with the fact that when I shot them my intention was to preserve the content so that I could send it to friends, not to make exact reproductions.

You should know, I kept EVERYTHING, especially from the "early days".  I have added a ridiculous number of photos to Fanlore--"Oh here, I kept this plastic bag which is printed with artwork and the name of the con--from 1975".  Really, it's good that I'm doing this because my daughter would curse my name when I am no more and she has to clean out my studio...

This year I concentrated on the early conventions I attended, both before and when I had first started my business.  So let's see if these pages upload okay...
When I wrote "extremely short-lived" I meant "five episodes"...I had never seen those five episodes, and once the show had been axed, it was axed...no DVDs or Netflix!
Sorry the lettering isn't clearer.  Please squint.

So the star was Judson Scott, who is better known from "Star Trek:  the Wrath of Khan".  He played this guy named Bennu (an ancient Egyptian name for "phoenix"--I'm sure the writers thought they were really clever) who had been found in a Mayan crypt. 
I had been asked to do artwork, specifically portraits, to be presented to the guests.  Judson Scott, as you can see, was thrilled.  And that whole "His Suit is the Sun" effect is in spite of hours spent on Photoshop Elements doing everything I could to tone his 1980s white linen suit down. 
So...Richard Lynch...the word "follies" is entirely applicable...
I did not try to make him look like Donald Trump...I was working from the least blurry of two EXTREMELY blurry pictures.




Most of the story is on the page...



She hugged--no SQUISHED me!
Our emcee was the late Marty Gear, who was a treasured guest at many conventions.

And here is the first time anyone spoke of the "Female Assassins Guild"...it will not be the last time...
Add caption


 So that's what I have for you, I hope you've enjoyed it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment