Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Set Mask Update: The Plaster is Applied

Forging ahead:

Having had dinner and taken my life into my hands while walking the dogs ('icy" does NOT begin to describe walking conditions out there!) I repaired to the basement with a bowl of water and some prepared papier mache gauze.

First I had to trim up the screen.  One of the real advantages of using this plastic screen is that you are not risking life and limb when  you work with it:  the last time I made a mask I used metal screen and bled profusely over the mask--which is, according to my costuming friends, necessary in order to ensure costume success.

I also ran an extra piece of foam board across the top of the mask to keep the ears from doing anything stupid like tilting inwards, and cut out part of the handle that had remained up to this point.

Cutting the gauze into strips, I started covering the mask.  At some point I noticed that the ears were too short, so I added length to the ears and covered over them.  I've left openings for the eyes that are large:  these will not only allow wide vision but also ventilation.

If there is an issue with vision after the plaster has dried, I will be able to cut through the plaster and screen to make the mask work.   But that will have to wait till tomorrow, when the plaster has completely dried.

You might wonder about the flat top of the mask:  no worries!  All Egyptian gods wore headdresses, and Set here will be no exception.  I might glue half a styrofoam ball to the front to help shape the "forehead" but otherwise this should be fine.  I gave some thought to opening up the top but I'm not sure how that would work.

Tomorrow:  check fit and eyes, and then another coat of plaster.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment